Volunteer with a Dog
Want to volunteer without a dog? Go here.
Passion and Positivity Required
Our volunteers range from high school students to retired couples and working professionals. The opportunities to support our mission through your volunteer hours are just as varied as our friendly volunteers. Our common thread is a powerful interest in supporting children; helping them grow up to be strong, confident, contributing members of our community. If your dog has a great disposition, you could make a great therapy team! Join dozens of other volunteers and their dogs enjoying visits through Roxy™ Therapy Dog programs.
Check out our FAQs about volunteering and programs.
Getting Started as a Therapy Team
1. Pass the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Test.
2. Pass a leading agency’s Therapy Dog Certification Test. Click on the preferred links below for more information on each agency’s testing requirements, schedule and locations.
- Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs Inc.
- Comfort Caring Canines
- Alliance of Therapy Dogs (formerly Therapy Dogs, Incorporated)
Please note that RTD does not accept teams certified by Therapy Dogs INTERNATIONAL. We are happy to help you set up re-testing with one of the above agencies.
3. Fill out our Volunteer Application, then contact us. We’ll arrange a meeting with our Welcome Team. They will answer any questions and help you to:
- Submit to a PA State Police Criminal Background Check. Click the control number to view your results. Click the “Certification Form” link in the center of the page to view, save and print your official certificate. There is no charge for this background check for volunteers.
- Apply for a PA Child Abuse History Certification. Click “Create Individual Account”. The Keystone Key is a user name you create. Follow the site’s step-by-step instructions for creating a password. Be sure to keep a record of your Keystone Key and Password as you will need them to access your results. You will receive an email from the site when your results are available, within 14 days of your submission. There is no charge for this background check for volunteers.
- Submit an FBI Fingerprinting Clearance. Enroll online at the IdentoGO site and make an appointment for fingerprinting at a location of your choice. The Service Code for VOLUNTEERS is 1KG6ZJ. There is a fee for the FBI background check.